Saturday 13 July 2013

My Favourite Artist... Tando Challenge

Hi all!  The current challenge from Tando is my favourite artist.  I have taken a musical view of this, as there is not a chance of me doing a Titian or similar!  I have been thinking about a wall hanging like this for a while, and finding these wonderful canvas boards galvanised me into action!  I love the music of Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, it really puts a smile on my face, so here it is!



As I said, I started with a 12 by 12 canvas board - I first came across Southside in the days of vinyl, so it seemed right to mimic an album sleeve, sort of.  I had in my possession a 30th anniversary sticker, unused from a gig when I first moved to Bristol.  The sticker is the same size as a record label, so, that is where I started.  I cut a rough circle from black paper, and used a toothbrush with some silver and black acrylic paint to mimic grooves. 

I swooshed several shades of blues onto the canvas, in similar shades of blue to the sticker.  Then I used the end of a kitchen roll tube to add white circles on the canvas.  finally, I used a music stamp around the edge.

I then tore some corrugated cardboard and stripped it back a bit, and painted it to match, including the white circles.

A couple of months ago, I made up a Tando desk tidy. It came with musical notations,; I didn't use them on the desk tidy, but they were perfect for this!!  I painted them up with black acrylic but they got lost against the black card.  So I recoloured them in silver.

I have a LOT of Southside albums - the biggest section in my CD collection.  It was difficult to choose which ones I wanted to use on my hanging, but these albums all have a special song on them, or I bought at a gig, or some other happy memory.  I printed them off on the computer, having resized them all to match.  I sprayed them with a fixative, and then with a spray gloss, to make look a little like album sleeves, and mounted them on the painted corrugated cardboard.

I used my Cropodile to set in some eyelets, and a piece of sari silk as the hanger.  Still not quite sure about this bit, but having made the holes, it will be easy to change the hanging accoutrements when I make my mind up.

I assembled the various pieces, and now I have a wall hanging which will make me smile every time I look at it.  If you need a bit of rhythm in your life, listen to The Fever  or Hearts on Fire (not on YouTube unfortunately!)...if you get the chance to see them, take it!  I guarantee you will be grinning after 10 minutes, if not sooner!!  Just brilliant live!

PS I love them so much, guess what car I have?  Yup, a Juke!!  Haha!

Hope you like!

Resources

Substrate - 12 x 12 canvas board

Paint and Ink
IndigoBlu: Grandma's Teacup
DecoArt: Traditions Prussian Blue, Cobalt Blue; Americana Lamp Black
PaperArtsy:Pea Coat translucent
Adirondack: Silver Paint dabber
Stazon: Midnight Blue
Stampin' Up:Whisper White Pigment ink

Stamps
Kitchen Roll tube (!)
Prima: Recital 4x6

Bling and other stuff
Cosmic Shimmer dries clear glue
Sari silk


5 comments:

  1. A very beautiful canvas Mooffie, and a really perfect place for playing with Tando's musical notes !! Thank you for sharing with us at Tando ! Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool take on the challenge at Tando. The vinyl is a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun vinyl themed wall hanging! And such a great idea to use a kitcheh roll tube for stamping circles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun piece! I love how you used the Tando music notes! Thanks for joining the challenge at Tando Creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your take on this months challenge - definately thinking outside the box - FABULOUS! thank you for taking part at Tando creative this month

    ReplyDelete